Youth & Family Teaching Assistant/Greeter
SKILL(S) TIME COMMITMENT/FREQUENCY/DURATION:
- One Sunday per month minimum, 9:00-11:00 or 10:30-12:00.
- We ask that you make an initial 9-12 month commitment.
- Comfortable in a youth-oriented environment.
- Recognizing the sacredness of keeping company with our Youth.
- Cheerful, pleasant, and eager to have fun.
We also ask that our Greeters are:
- Amiable and willing to initiate conversation.
- Flexible to “fill in” if assistance is needed in classrooms.
- Time managers (able to track progress of service).
- Capable of light administrative duties (collating, filing, etc.)
Teaching Assistants required skills also include:
- Able to work collaboratively with a lead teacher.
- Engage in playful, child-focused conversations about faith, spiritual practices, and Science of Mind philosophy. Staying present to the child’s needs, safety, and fun.
- Observant and communicative. Recognizing it is often the children that are teaching the adults.
Youth & Family teaching assistants, and greeters arrive 30 minutes before service begins to help set up.
- Set (or reset) the Youth table in Fellowship Hall.
- Acknowledge families as they arrive directing them to the appropriate classrooms. They also answer questions regarding the Youth program (or direct them to the coordinator).
- Function as a general “host” in Fellowship Hall.
- Set (or reset) the classroom in which they are assigned.
- Check in with the lead teacher upon arrival for any special preparations or set-up needed each Sunday.
- Greet families as they arrive ensuring that children’s names are printed clearly and parents sign in completely.
- Help maintain a clean environment before, during & after class. Once all children are picked up, assistants return to the classroom to put away materials, wipe down tables, etc.
- Notify classes when it’s time to join the congregation.
- Manage the sound (music & audio of service) in Fellowship Hall.
Clearance of background check is required. Assistant training takes place in the classroom with the lead teacher(s). Orientation for both roles takes place with Jennifer prior to Sunday assignment.