Youth & Family Teaching Assistant/Greeter
Team Lead: Jennifer Bick, RScP
Email: YouthandFamily [at] cslsj.org
SKILL(S) TIME COMMITMENT/FREQUENCY/DURATION:
- One Sunday per month minimum, 10:30-12:00.
- We ask that you make an initial 9-12 month commitment.
- Comfortable in a youth-oriented environment.
- Recognizing the sacredness of keeping company with our Youth.
- Cheerful, pleasant, and eager to have fun.
We also ask that our Greeters are:
- Amiable and willing to initiate conversation.
- Flexible to “fill in” if assistance is needed in classrooms.
- Time managers (able to track progress of service).
- Capable of light administrative duties (collating, filing, etc.)
Teaching Assistants required skills also include:
- Able to work collaboratively with a lead teacher.
- Engage in playful, child-focused conversations about faith, spiritual practices, and Science of Mind philosophy. Staying present to the child’s needs, safety, and fun.
- Observant and communicative. Recognizing it is often the children that are teaching the adults.
- Youth & Family teaching assistants, and greeters arrive 30 minutes before service begins to help set up.
- Set (or reset) the Youth table in Fellowship Hall.
- Acknowledge families as they arrive directing them to the appropriate classrooms. They also answer questions regarding the Youth program (or direct them to the coordinator).
- Function as a general “host” in Fellowship Hall.
- Set (or reset) the classroom in which they are assigned.
- Check in with the lead teacher upon arrival for any special preparations or set-up needed each Sunday.
- Greet families as they arrive ensuring that children’s names are printed clearly and parents sign in completely.
- Help maintain a clean environment before, during & after class. Once all children are picked up, assistants return to the classroom to put away materials, wipe down tables, etc.
- Notify classes when it’s time to join the congregation.
- Clearance of background check is required. Assistant training takes place in the classroom with the lead teacher(s). Orientation for both roles takes place with Jennifer prior to Sunday assignment.